The first generation of Volkswagen buses were built from 8th March 1950 to 1967. Very distinctive, with their Split windshield, they were first produced at the Wolfsburg factory before moving to an all new Transporter factory in Hanover in 1956.
These first T1 vans were powered by the 1100cc (24hp) Beetle engine and came from a design by the Dutch VW importer Ben Pon. Initially two versions were offered, the Commercial (or Panel) Van, and the Kombi with two rows of removable seats and three windows down each side.
Larger engines followed, together with other versions of the van, including the Deluxe Microbus (or Samba) with its distinctive rooflights, cloth sunroof and chrome plated ornamental band separating the two tone colour scheme. In 1951 this must really have been an amazing sight, seating for 8 people in comfort - a miniature luxury bus!